InvestBPS develops and sustains engaging, effective, lasting, and mutually beneficial partnerships with individual Boston Public Schools, the school district, and the business community.
InvestBPS is deeply rooted in the core belief and understanding that effective school-business partnerships can:
- Transform the student learning experience by enhancing classroom learning, extending learning beyond school walls and providing dynamic, real-world learning opportunities;
- Increase civic engagement by providing employees meaningful mentor relationships and volunteer opportunities;
- Prepare a diverse workforce for the future by opening workforce development opportunities to students, such as job-related training and internships;
- Increase corporate philanthropy by identifying strategic corporate giving opportunities and leveraging these investments to positively impact BPS students and schools; and
- Strengthen the City by building community throughout Boston’s diverse schools and businesses and among students and professionals.
Vertex Pharmaceuticals is a multi-avenue partner, providing both school year and summer programs for the students of Boston Public Schools. The Thomas M. Menino Learning Lab offers laboratory-based instruction as well as mentorship opportunities.
This year, kindergarten through fifth grade students in Higginson/Lewis, Tynan, Channing, Taylor, King, Chittick, Harvard/Kent, Curtis Guild, and Winship schools participated in the
annual Read to Achieve initiative (sponsored in part by InvestBPS partner Houghton Mifflin Harcourt). Students were rewarded with individual incentives and opportunities to win school assemblies with Celtics players.
Envision Boston Giving, created by Dr. Tricia Rose, an optometrist and founder of the Boston-based practice, Envision Boston Optometry, has launched a program that will serve three schools over the course of the next year.
Local technology company Salsify launched a STEM education program to help expose Boston Public School students to careers in their field. Salsify created this opportunity to help increase diversity and to build a strong pipeline of local STEM workers.